Thursday, January 31, 2008

Healthcare

Obamacare is not good for this country. We all know it. Some don't want to accept it. The only healthcare reform I currently support is an end to the "pre-existing condition" rule for individual or group coverage. It is odd that a person cannot be turned down for healthcare coverage due to a pre-existing condition when the individual participates in most group healthcare plans. Yet, that same person can be turned down for individual coverage and with some group plans. Why are the rules different?

I changed my mind on this subject due to a personal experience. I was denied coverage as an individual in 2008 due to a recent diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, a degenerative disease that can cause tremendous pain and lead to loss of mobility. I was at the point that I could not use my hands for anything other than picking up light objects. I would literaly cry at the thought of standing up because I knew the pain would be intense. I felt hopeless and helpless. I had a new born child and feared I would not be able to be the father I should be to my three kids. I was able to get the medication I needed through the manufacture at no charge for a period of time and soon found employment that included a group healthcare plan.

I do not agree that everyone has the "right" to healthcare. At the same time, I do not think we should turn people away in times of catastrophic illness. If someone is involved in a severe auto accient or is stricken with an illness that causes them to stop being a productive citizen and they do not have health insurance, we should provide healthcare. Once the healthcare has been provided, we can send them a bill for the full amount and allow them to pay it over time with no interest with payments as low as $5 per month.

I also do not agree with providing free healthcare, except in times of catestrophic illness, to illegal immigrants. If illegal immigrants want healthcare coverage they should return to their home country and apply for a visa to enter the United States legally. Once in this country legally, they can apply for health insurance just like we do.

1 Comments:

At 5:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll immediately grab your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

Feel free to surf to my blog post - acid reflux relief (128.111.243.69)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home